Monday, January 28, 2008

The Bleak Mid-Winter

First the weigh in news: .4 down. Kind of underwhelming, but really not bad considering I ate out almost every day last week. So many January birthdays, so little will power.

And now the weather: cold, cold, cold. As in, feels like -46 C with windchill cold. Somehow every year I seem to forget that winter does not in fact end with the holidays and I find it really annoying when it has the nerve to continue on blithely through January and February, getting worse all the time. I'm done with you, winter! Didn't you get the memo?

When its really cold all my motivation to exercise goes out the window. It seems contrary to common sense to expend calories when its only down to the whim of the furnace gods that I'm not shivering under 10 blankets, relying on those last few cookies to see me through until I'm rescued. And the thought of SWIMMING, my usual cardio, is just ridiculous.

And on top of all that, we didn't go grocery shopping before the cold snap set in and I can't imagine getting up the nerve to go grocery shopping in this.

So what has this taught me? Planning is the key. I SHOULD have thought ahead and gone grocery shopping before Sunday. I SHOULD have a store of frozen and canned foods that I use when a team of dogs couldn't drag me to the grocery store on a sled. And I need to have a go-to exercise option, like DVD's or an inside bike, to use when the swimming isn't happening. And I need to be PATIENT when my best laid plans go awry.

No comments: