Saturday, August 23, 2008

Skinny Jeans

I bought a new pair of jeans today in size 34/34 from Bluenotes, a store I haven't been into since high school (a somewhat depressing 14 years ago).

A couple of observations:
1. The cool kids get way shittier service in these stores than we plus-sized yuppies have come to expect.
2. Now that I can finally fit into these stores, I'm way to freaking old to shop there.

Nevertheless, I plan on making a fool of myself wearing teenage clothing until the novelty wears off. Better late than never.

While I am happy about reaching this milestone of shopping at a "normal" store, I'm also confused. My memory may have blocked out some of the details due to the trauma of the experience, but I'm pretty sure I remember trying to squeeze my high school ass into the biggest pair of jeans in the store (a size 13) and not being able to. This marked the beginning of my approximately 15 year exile into the wilderness of plus sized stores. Problem is, I'm pretty sure my high school ass was smaller than the early 30's one I have now. So, is this another sign of the obesity crisis? Are my 34 jeans really 38's? Is this where those chubby teenagers with all the ass crack showing have been getting their jeans?

And oh yeah, I am now at 203.4 lbs.

1 comment:

Nory Roth said...

Curses!!! VANITY SIZING!!! I have found that same issue lately when shopping for pants. Years ago, I was a size 18W/20W at my current weight. Now, I don't know if I should try on 18W or 16W, or even straight size 18 in some stores. And, depending on the manufacturer, I can even wear a 16 if the designer is particularly aggressive with the vanity sizing!