Saturday, August 30, 2008

Hershey's Kiss of Death

Continuing on the theme of chocolate sabotage, I had a very healthy day today until I went to the movies and soon found myself in the dark scoffing Reese's Pieces like they were going out of style. Which they really should be - I don't even really like Reese's Pieces! They are just the least offensive Hershey's brand chocolate available.*

Which brings me to something I have often lamented - why does Hershey's have such a stranglehold on movie chocolate? It is by far my least favourite brand of chocolate, and yet I find myself eating it at least once a month and paying a ridiculous amount of money for it because it is all that is available at the movies. (My self-delusion that I will one day go to the movies and NOT eat chocolate prevents me from planning ahead and bringing something else.)

So, no need to say that things continue down the slippery slope and if I don't put the brakes on soon I'll be undoing all my hard work in no time. But besides the Reese's Pieces, I did do fairly well today and I feel ready to give it a good effort again. It's all stops and starts but at least the stops seem to be getting shorter - fingers crossed.

(*A quick visit to the Hershey's website reveals that amongst all the other crap, they are responsible for the Kit Kat. I would like to make it clear that I in no way include the Kit Kat in my general rant against Hershey's -the Kit Kat is a truly delightful confection. But why the hell is it not available at the movies?)

2 comments:

Nory Roth said...

Let me just tell you......Hershey's chocolate is NOT what it once was. They have futzed with the formula so much over the years, that it in NO WAY resembles what Milton S. Hershey produced in the early 1900's!!! It also in NO WAY resembles the bars that I ate as a child. Today's bars are waxy, grainy dreck!! My great aunt informs me that in the 1930's, when she worked for the Hershey Chocolate Company, the chocolate was conched for DAYS, giving a simply divine velvety smoothness to the chocolate. Today, the chocolate is conched for mere HOURS, hence the grainy mess. The cocoa butter and butter have largely been replaced with cheaper oils and emulsifiers, in addition to the artificial flavorings. (yum,yum, right?) Don't even get me started on what has happened to the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup!!! We don't even get to smell the cocoa beans roasting any more, because Hershey now SUBCONTRACTS it out!!! IMHO -- subcontract equals substandard way, way too much of the time. The only decent chocolatier in our area is M&M Mars, but as we have recently learned, they, too are going the way of the dinosaur. No longer privately held, they will soon be bowing and scraping to the almighty shareholder, and screw the consumer. If you like Snickers bars, get them now, because I just KNOW they will mess that up really soon!!! Sorry if this was too rambling, but chocolate is a really sore spot here in central PA.

Cath said...

Hey Nory
Thanks, this actually explains a lot! When I was a kid, there were so many "Hershey Bar" references in movies, but you could not get them in the local store in the tiny town I lived in. I built them up in my mind as some kind of amazing treat that would be way better than the plain old Canadian chocolate that I was eating. Then when I finally had one as an adult, I was amazed and thought, "Poor Americans! They think this is good chocolate!" But my husband, who grew up in a different part of Canada and is a couple of years older, agrees that Hershey's used to be way better.